Notes on the Major Arcana
- Charles Platt, 1865
- It is interesting to note that the cards are harmonious in the third degree — thus the First and Fourth cards are male, the Second and Fifth are priestly. The Seventh is also sympathetic with the First and Fourth.
Unfortunately numbers Eight and Eleven are often reversed; one early account gives Justice for number Eight and Courage for Eleven, another shifting them about. It is impossible nowadays to decide which is correct, though personally we prefer number Eleven for Justice.
It will again be seen that there is much sympathy in each couple of third cards — thus Eight and Eleven are often reversed; while Nine and Twelve both indicate Prudence in affairs. Ten and Thirteen are obviously closely connected in the form of Destiny and Death, both representing Finality. The Fourteenth card, Temperance or Moderation, also follows the idea of the Eighth and Eleventh.
- Fortune-Telling by Cards, 1915
- King: Divine world (spirituality).
- Queen: Human world (vitality).
- Knight: Material world (materiality).
- Knave: Transition stage, i.e. life passed on.